Tuesday 29 July 2014

The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman


Title:    The Book  of  Blood  and  Shadow

Author:  Robin  Wasserman

Publisher:  Random  House  UK

Genre:  Mystery,  Young  Adult,  Fiction

The  blurb:  It  was  like  a  nightmare,  but  there  was  no  waking  up.  When  the  night  began,  Nora  had  two  best  friends  and  a  boyfriend  she  adored.  When  it  ended,  she  had  nothing  but  blood  on  her  hands.  Chris  was  dead.  Adriane  couldn't  speak.  And  Max,  Nora's  sweet,  smart,  soft-spoken  Prince  Charming,  was  gone.  He  was  also  -  according  to  the  police,  according  to  her  parents,  according  to  everyone  -  a  murderer.  Desperate  to  prove  his  innocence,  Nora's  determined  to  follow  the  trail  of  blood,  no  matter  where  it  leads.  But  Chris's  murder  is  just  one  piece  in  a  puzzle  that  spans  continents  and  centuries.  Solving  it  may  be  the  only  way  she  can  save  her  own  life.

What  I  thought:  I  went  into  this  book  with  high  expectations  because  of  all  the  hype  that  surrounded  it  when  it  came  out.  It  had  been  on  my  to - be - read  list  for  quite  some  time.  I  really  liked  the  premise  of  the  book  as  it  wasn't  something  I'd  ever  read  about  before.  I  enjoyed  the  writing  style  and  I  think  that  it  made  the  protagonist,  Nora,  seem  real.  I  like  how  Robin  Wasserman  described  Prague,  as  I'd  read  about  it  in  other  books  like  Days  of  Blood  and  Starlight  by  Laini  Taylor.

However,  I  felt  that  the  book  was  quite  slow  paced  and  that  it  took  a  very  long  time  for  any  important  events  to  happen.  I  feel  that  the  translations  dragged  the  book  down,  and  I  found  it  annoying  to  have  to  read  line  after  line  of  Ancient  Greek,  as  I  don't  like  reading  in  languages  that  I  don't  understand.

Overall,  this  book  is  okay.  I  think  it's  a  good  read  if  you  like  reading  about  history  and  foreign  cities.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment