Wednesday 30 July 2014

Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Title: Just One Day

Author: Gayle Forman

Publisher: Random House UK

The blurb (from Amazon): Allyson Healey's life is exactly like her suitcase - packed, planned and ordered. Then on the last day of her three - week - post - graduation European tour, she meets Willem. A free - spirited, roving actor, Willem is everything she's not, and when he invites her to abandon her plans and come to Paris with him, Allyson says yes. The uncharacteristic decision leads to a day of risk and romance, liberation and intimacy: 24 hours that will transform Allyson's life.

A book about love, heartbreak, travel, identity, and the "accidents" of faith, Just One Day shows us how sometimes in order to get found, you first have to get lost... and how often the people we are seeking are much closer than we know.

What I thought: I really enjoyed this book. I flew through it in a few hours, which is always a good sign. I really identified with the main character, Allyson. I found that I had a lot in common with her, and her character development in this book is excellent. I loved watching her grow. Willem, the alluring boy she meets while visiting England captivated me with his personality and his sweet disposition, and also his love for chocolate and bread.

The writing in this book is beautiful. I love reading about foreign cities, and I now find myself wanting to go to Paris as I was so enchanted by Gayle Forman's writing about it.

You never expect much of a plotline in contemporary novels as they're mostly about the characters, but I loved the plotline of this book. The idea of fearlessly going to Paris for a day with someone you just met seems fun and exhillerating.

This book really is truly brilliant. I love it.

Rating: 9/10


 

No comments:

Post a Comment