Thursday 21 August 2014

Book Review: The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas

Title: The Assassins Blade (Throne of Glass #0.1 - 0.5)

Author: Sarah J. Maas

Publisher: Bloomsbury

Blurb (from Goodreads): Celaena Sardothien is Adarlan's most feared assassin. As part of the Assassin's Guild, her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn Hamel, yet Celaena listens to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam. In these action-packed novellas - together in one edition for the first time - Celaena embarks on five daring missions. They take her from remote islands to hostile deserts, where she fights to liberate slaves and seeks to avenge the tyrannous. But she is acting against Arobynn's orders and could suffer an unimaginable punishment for such treachery. Will Celaena ever be truly free? Explore the dark underworld of this kick-ass heroine to find out.

What I thought: I absolutely loved this book so much! There's romance and combat and action throughout. There's never a dull moment.

So, our main character is of course the fearless Celaena Sardothien from the Throne of Glass series that I've come to love so much this summer. I loved getting to know her more in this set of novellas. The novellas show us how and why Celaena is such a formidable warrior. I love her even more after reading this book.

In The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, Celaena and her fellow assassin Sam are sent on what seems like an easy enough mission to pay a visit to the Pirate Lord, but they soon discover that everything is not as it seems. When Celaena discovers that she would be involved in the slave trade, she must battle with her conscience as she decides what the right thing to do is.

I loved this novella. It has a great plot that always kept me interested. The banter between Celaena and Sam was very entertaining. The fight scenes were really well done. In fact, so was everything else. Brilliant.

In The Assassin and the Healer, Celaena encounters a barmaid named Yrene. I can't say anything more about it as it would be spoilery.

In this novella I learned a lot more about Celaena's personality and also the world of the Throne of Glass series. I loved the fight scenes and I really enjoyed learning more about magic.

In The Assassin and the Desert, Celaena is sent far into the Red Desert to learn the ways of the Silent Assassins. She expects it to be easy in, easy out but she finds that she must work hard to earn her right to train with the Master.

This novella is one of my favourites. I really enjoyed it from start to finish. I liked how it interconnected with the Throne of Glass books, such as how we learned the story of how Celaena came to acquire an Asterion Mare.

In The Assassin and the Underworld, Celaena returns to the Assassin's Keep and is given an assignment to help fight slavery in Ardarlan.

I loved the relationship between Celaena and Sam in this book. I really enjoyed the conversations they had and I enjoyed getting to know Sam more. He is now one of my favourite characters. I was interested in getting to see more of Arobynn Hamel. I learned a lot about him and the connection he has with Celaena. The plotline is flawless. It has plenty of twists and turns and always kept me guessing.

In The Assassin and the Empire, Celaena and Sam have a very dangerous contract that could cost them everything they have, including each other. Again, I can't say anything more as I don't want to spoil the book.

Again, Sarah J. Maas shows us what a brilliant author she is. Yes, I loved it. Yes, I cried.

The Assassin's Blade is incredible and I would encourage readers old and new to the series to read this book. I'd recommend reading this book first and then reading the series, as I think you'd enjoy it more, but you don't have to. Enjoy it. I certainly did.

Rating: 10/10








 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment